We’re accustomed to women having sensitive skin and taking care of it with all sorts of products intended to soothe it. Men, too, can have trouble with finding creams, aftershaves and shaving foams that don’t further irritate their touchy skin.
There’s a misconception going around according to which products for sensitive skin are more expensive than the ones for normal skin. We know for a fact that this misconception is 100% ungrounded.
With all these being said, let’s take a closer look at what ingredients you should stay away and what ingredients are beneficial. Afterward, we’ll see some of the best products for sensitive skin you can get.
Ingredients You Should Stay Away From
More often than not, it’s not the skin itself that causes eruptions, acne, dryness, and redness. It’s all about the ingredients in the products you’re using. You might be tempted to think that you can use any product - your skin will get irritated regardless.
That’s not true. That’s why the best products for sensitive skin exist in the first place. Look on the label and don’t purchase products that have:
- Alcohol: Rub some alcohol-based aftershave on your face and you’ll feel like you’ve set it on fire. Alcohol is used in shaving products because it endows them with quick-drying properties. However, the downsides don’t outweigh this isolated benefit.
- Sulfates: Sulfates are used in shaving and skincare products because they are able to create foam. In many cases, this is a good deal, but if you’re having sensitive skin, it’s anything but. Just like alcohol, sulfates are prone to causing irritation, too.
- Scents: We all love an aftershave with a pleasant perfume, but you should opt for scent-free products if your skin is sensitive. First of all, many scented aftershaves and foams indubitably have at least a small concentration of alcohol. Second of all, very few of them are actually natural, which means you’ll carpet-bomb your sensitive skin with all sorts of chemicals.
Ingredients That Are Beneficial for Sensitive Skin
- Tea extracts: Green tea and white tea are formidable when incorporated into shaving products. The best products for sensitive skin usually have them. They soothe the skin and cause no irritation. Moreover, they have anti-inflammatory properties and are rich in antioxidants.
- Chamomile: Chamomile has the same effect as green and white tea extract. It is known for being one of the safest and healthiest ingredients in shaving products.
- Mint oil: It soothes irritation and is an anti-inflammatory agent. Plus, it has a cooling effect and a very nice, natural scent.
In the following, we’ll review briefly 4 of the best products for sensitive skin that you can use safely, with no risk of irritation.
Let’s get into more details:
Gillette Series 3x Protection Shaving Foam
The 3x Protection from Gillette might just be the single shaving foam that contains both sulfates and alcohol but does not cause any irritation. This is because: 1) the alcohol is fatty and 2) both the alcohol and the sulfates are found in infinitesimal concentrations.
While most shaving foams have a strong scent, the 3x Protection has a faint, pleasant one that does not irritate the skin, either. On top of all these, its lather is subtle and moisturizes the skin instead of drying it out, like that in other products.
The Gillette Series 3x Protection Shaving foam truly deserves the 1st place in our top of best products for sensitive skin. If you’ve got sensitive skin, you really can’t go wrong with this Gillette shaving foam.
Nivea Men Sensitive Shaving Foam
This particular shaving foam is well-known to men with touchy skin. It has no alcohol and no sulfates. It provides a smoothing effect and makes no compromises when it comes to moisturizing the skin.
Unlike many other shaving foams, it doesn’t make the gliding of the razor difficult – it improves it. This will result in a quicker and generally better shaving. If the razor doesn’t glide properly, there will still be some hairs left on your face.
With Nivea Men Sensitive Shaving Foam, you won’t need to worry about that. Like Gillette’s 3x Protection, it has a discreet scent that doesn’t make your skin burn.
Lather & Wood Shaving Co. After-Shave Balm
If you want a proper aftershave with a pleasant, natural scent, this Lather & Wood is everything you’ve been looking for. It calms irritations down and grants a cooling effect that will refresh your skin immediately after you’re done the shaving.
The product does not contain any alcohol, which is great. Obviously, its main selling point is the fact that its scent is natural sandalwood. On one hand, this ensures the glow of your skin and, on the other hand, it smells nothing short of gorgeous.
Once you’ve tried the Lather & Wood After-Shave balm, you won’t use any other brands, and that’s a guarantee right here.
Christina Moss Naturals Facial Moisturizer
Christina Moss Naturals isn’t a well-known brand, but it definitely deserves some more promotion. This moisturizer is made with 100% organic ingredients and it works as an anti-aging agent.
It also repairs aged skin and prevents wrinkles. It’s safe to say that the Christina Moss Naturals Facial Moisturizer is the complete solution to all your skin problems, from dryness to premature aging.
Sensitive skin needs a lot more care than a normal one, but luckily, you don’t need to pay hundreds of dollars to do that. The best products for sensitive skin are usually no more expensive than those for normal skin.
Anytime you’re shopping for moisturizers, aftershaves or shaving foams, take a look at the list of ingredients that should not be there, or at least should be in a very small concentration.
We hope you’ve found this guide useful and that we provided some answers to all your questions on the topic.
Last update on 2020-08-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API